NORWOOD LODGE #9O On May 19th, 1915, Norwood Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, acting under dispensation from the Grand Chapter of Canada was instituted at McQueen Hall over 8907 Alberta Avenue. At this meeting some sixty masons from the city lodges were present and after the luncheon a number of them congragated together and hinted at the bright prospects for the formation of a Master Masons' Lodge in a district so far removed from the central city lodges. There was a certain reluctance even to this, inasmuch as all the Lodges on the north side of the River were meeting in Second Street Masonic Hall which is the property of Edmonton No. 7 and although certain dissatisfaction had arisen from time to time with those who were renting, yet none had felt sufficiently self reliant to start out in new premises. Another deterring factor was that on one or two occasions a Lodge in Norwood had been (sic) "set" on foot but for one reason or another had never reached maturity. However the necessity for the formation of a new lodge smouldered in the breasts of a few and W. Bro. T. H. Wilson arranged a private interview with R.W.Bro. E. T. Bishop, D.G.M. to test his feelings upon this subject. Here the first obstacle presented itself, our R.W.Brother strongly objected on the grounds that it would rob the existing lodges of members. As every new venture meets with opposition and this in turn tends to steel the hearts of its supporters, so in this case, determination to succeed if at all possible encouraged a deputation consisting of W. Bro. T. H. Wilson, Bro.'s W. Thompson and R. Moss, all of Empire Lodge No. 63 to pay a visit to R. W. Bro. E. T. Bishop in his office on Jasper Ave. He gave that deputation a strict (sic) "catechising" as to the necessity for the formation of a lodge in any outlying district, especially at such a time as this when all available men were needed to help in the great struggle with Germany. His impressions again seemed rather to discourage the idea, but after a lengthy discussion, that deputation left his office feeling that the desired wish might be acceded to, which ultimately proved to be the case for very shortly afterwards, R. W. Bro. Bishop was one of its most ardent supporters. A list of proposed charter members was then given to W. Bro. T. H. Wilson to take down to Grand Lodge which was meeting in May at Red Deer, that he there might ascertain their attitude toward the formation of a lodge in Norwood. That list contained the names of the following Master Masons in good standing who were prepared to stand together for the benefit of the new institution Edmonton Lodge Edmonton No. 7 - Bro.s H. Southworth and J.Southworth Unity Lodge No. 51, Edmonton - Bro's. J.S. MacPherson, W. E. Clark and A. Wright, Empire Lodge No. 63, Edmonton - W. Bro. T. H. Wilson, W. Thompson, J. Turner, J. Spalding and R. Moss King George Lodge No. 59, Calgary - Bro. J. C. Morris This resulted in W. Bro. T. H. Wilson bringing back with him an application to form, which was duly filled out by the above twelve individuals, appointing W. Bro. T. H. Wilson as charter master, Bro. Robert MOSS as first Senior Warden and Bro. William Thompson as first Junior Warden. This application was then forwarded to Edmonton Lodge No. 7, (they being the senior lodge in the city) for their approval accompanied by the following letter - "June 11th, 1915 Bro. Hume - Sec, Edmonton Lodge No. 7. Dear Brother - Will you kindly present the enclosed petition for consideration at the Regular Meeting of Edmonton Lodge No. 7 held on the 17th inst. In forwarding this application we feel justified in requesting the formation of a Master Masons' Lodge in the North-east of the city. In this well populated district there are a large number of masons who are unaffiliated owing to the inconvenience of distance and times of meetings of the city lodges, as well as several worthy candidates who would willingly become brethren if such conditions were over come as would facilitate an easy access. We do not infer that it is our intention to make this too easy financially as the initiation fee is to be $50.00 but but rather to encourage affiliation of unaffiliated brethren. The room selected is conveniently situated on the car line at 8307 Alberta Ave. and now used by the Norwood Chapter of Royal Arch Masons U.D, who have the premises on a three year lease to be used for Masonic purposes only. This is central for residents in Norwood, Eastwood the Highlands and Delton, as well as being within easy reach of North Edmonton. Hoping this will receive the approval of Edmonton Lodge. On June 17, 1915, Edmonton Lodge at their regular meeting unanimously passed a resolution, recommending the formation of Norwood Lodge. This was proposed by R. W. Bro. Dr. Darling and seconded by R. W. Bro. Turnbull. W. Bro. T. H. Wilson responded on behalf of the proposed new lodge, thanking them for their assistance thus far towards the formation of the first lodge to hold its meetings away fran the only existing masonic Hall in 2nd Street. After the application had been properly signed and the current receipts of the charter members had been carefull examined by the acting master of Edmonton Lodge - Bro. O. West (the master, W. Bro. McKenzie being away from the meeting on account of sickness) the form was erroneously mailed to the Grand Secretary at Calgary with the following letter - "June l8th, 1915 Dr. George Macdonald Grand Secretary of Grand Lodge of Alberta, A.F. & A.M. Calgary. Most Worshipful Sir - I herewith enclose application for a new Master Masons' Lodge which has been duly approved by Edmonton Lodge #7, also certificates of Good Standing together with cheque for $25.00. Will you kindly bring this to the attention of the Most Worshipful, the Grand Master of Alberta for his consideration, which we sincerely hope will meet with his approval. The proposed place of meeting is 9807 Alberta Ave. which premises are now being used by the Norwood Chapter of Royal Arch Masons U.D. who hold the lease for three years subject to the Hall being used for Masonic purposes only. The time of regular meetings is the 2nd Tuesday in each month at 7.30 P.M. In as much as the regalia and furniture will need to be ordered from Eastern Canada, an early reply would be greatly appreciated. Hoping for your favourable response to our request. I remain Yours Fraternally - Robert Moss." In the course of a few days the application was returned from Calgary requesting that it first be sent to R.W.Bro. C.P. Ruddy, DDGM at Leduc for his recommendation. These instructions were carried out on June 29th, 1915, at the same time expressing the desire to the DDGM to forward to Calgary with as little delay as possible. Nothing further was heard of the application and fearing it might have miscarried on July 13th, 1915, telegrams were forwarded to Grand Lodge at Calgary and also to R.W. Bro. C. P. Ruddy, copies of which are herewith appended - "Dr. George Macdonald - Grand Secretary - Calgary Has application for Norwood Lodge been received from Ruddy wire date." Reply came - "Instructions will follow shortly." "C.P. Ruddy - Leduc Has application for Norwood Lodge been sent to Calgary, wire date". Reply came - Appiicatign for Norwood Lodge forwarded to Grand-Lodge Secretary June twenty eighth - C.P. Ruddy." If either of these worthy brothers had followed ordinary business methods and acknowledged receiving the petition this anxiety would not have been occasioned and R.W. Bro. C.P.Ruddy would have been relieved of stating that he dispatched the document to Calgary prior to having received same. A satisfactory reply was received on July 21, 1915 from the Most Worshipful the Grand Master S. Y. Taylor stating that he had signed the petition asking for dispensation and as it was his intention to visit several lodges in the northerly part of the province during the third week in August, he would reserve the eveniny of August 20th for the institution of the new Lodge, if satisfactory. In response to this, the prospective charter master, W. Bro. T. H. Wilson forwarded the following reply - "July 25th, 1915. To The Most Worshipful the Grand Master of Alberta A.F. & A.M. S. Y. Taylor, Esq. Most Worshipful Sir - Re: application for a Lodge to be held at Norwood, Edmonton, to be called Norwood Lodge. On behalf of the petitioners and myself, we desire to thank you for the honor you have conferred upon us in granting our petitian for dispensation and also for the honour you will confer upon us by being present and instituting us as a Lodge on August 2Oth. In obedience to your commands we will therefore make arrangements to hold the ceremony on that date". It was now necessary to start to work towards the modelling of the new premises into the semblance of a lodge room, for at this time the newly formed Chapter of Royal Arch Masons were not in a position financially to do anymore than was really necessary for the carrying out of their work. So far as the new lodge now stood, finances were nil and everything appertaining to the furnishing of a M.M. lodge was concerned had to be provided for. Norwood Lodge may justly be termed a lodge of self help. "The Saviour helps those who help themselves" is a well tried maxim, embodying in a small compass the results of vast human experience. The spirit of self help is the root of all genuine growth in a community as it is in the individual. Help from without is often (sic) "enfeebling" in its effects but help from within invariably invigorates. This was the spirit that imbued the charter members when they met on July 25th, 1915 to consider ways and means. W.Bro, T. H, Wilson explained briefly that had been done up to the present and during his remarks laid great stress upon the importance of choosing the future master of a lodge at the time the ballot was cast for the Junior Warden. The election of this latter office should be judiciously chosen so that no regrets might arise at any future time and so disturb the harmony by superceding either Junior or Senior Warden. The following elective officers were duly appointed. Treasurer - Bro. H. Southworth, proposed by Bro. R. Moss, seconded by Bro. J. Carrier, Secretary - Bro. J. O. Spalding proposed by Bro. W. Thompson, seconded by Bro. J. Southworth, Chaplain - Bro. w. J. Kelly, proposed by Bro. J. Turner, seconded by Bro. W. Thompson. Then the W.M. appointed the following officers - Senior Deacon - Bro. J. G. Morris; Junior Deacon - Bro. J. Southworth, Senior Steward - Bro. J. S. MacPherson; Junior Steward, Bro. A. Wright, Director of Ceremonies - Bro. W. E. Clark; Inner Guard - Bro. J. Turner. A house committee consisting of the whole of the charter members was adopted, this being proposed by Bro. R. Moss and seconded by Bro. J. Turner. It was then proposed by Bro. W. J. Kelly, seconded by Bro. J. Turner and adopted that the initiation fee be $50.00, this to include first year dues. M.M. Apron, copy of constitution and copy of By-laws and that the dues be $2.50 for each six months or part thereof. The question of Affiliation Fee was then discussed and it was proposed by Bro. J. Turner, seconded by Bro. J. Southworth and adopted that $10.00 be the fee, this to include first years dues. Up to this point discussion had hinged upon finances that were hoped for from incoming candidates and affiliates but the difficulty now arose as to what was to be done for present needs. This was readily solved by Bro. W. Thompson who willingly offered $300.00 as a loan to the Lodge free of all interest until such time as it could be refunded, he also proferred to give the Junior and Senior Wardens columns, three gavels, the letter "G" and the star in the East. Bro. R. Moss proposed and Bro. J. Kelly seconded a vote of thanks, which was heartily endorsed by all to Bro. Thompson for his kindness in so graciously relieving the needs of the lodge. On the motion of Bro. J. Turner and seconded by Bro. J. Southworth an account was opened with the Imperial Bank. Enquiries had been made by the various members as to the most reasonable prices for the purchase of Lodge Columns and as it was found that Messrs. Cushing Bros. could supply these for $45.00 complete, it was proposed by Bro. J. Southworth and seconded by Bro. W. Thompson that the order be given to them. The Ashlars were to be ordered from the Edmonton Marble and Granite Company for $9.75 and the regalia to be obtained from the Dominion Regalia Co, Toronto, the cost of the latter being approximately $125.00 was the proposal of Bro. J. Turner seconded by Bro. J. Southwaite. There was no one in view at the time to hold the important position of Tyler, and this duty was considered an all important one, members were requested to be on the lookout for some suitable Brother. As a remuneration for this office, it was moved by Bro. R. Moss, seconded by Bro. J. Southworth, that $2.00 per month be paid. It was proposed by Bro. R. Moss, seconded by Bro. W. Thompson that two black balls must be placed in the ballot box to decide against the initiation of a candidate or admission of an affiliate. This completed the business portion of the meeting after which the members divided themselves into groups apportioning to each certain duties to be accomplished for the furnishing and beautifying of the lodge premises. Each evening after this, untii the institution, recreation was found in doing something for Norwood Lodge. Mention must be made here of what was accomplished during that short space of time. The lodge room and preparation room walls were decorated, refreshment tables, kneeling stools and candlesticks made, locker and cloak room accommodations prepared. Foremost among those who gave considerable time to this work were, Bro's. Turner, Spalding, Thompson, J. Southworth, Wright and Moss. Special mention might also be made of the following ladies who made curtains, altar cushion, pedestal covers and embroidery, Mesdames Southworth, Thompson, Spalding, Turner and Moss. On August 1st, 1915 the dispensation was received from the Grand Secretary at Calgary which was promptly acknowledged. The Charter members next met to transact business preparatory to the institution of the 6th of August 1915. The Minutes of the former meeting were read and adopted. Discussion then took place as to the covering of the floor of the lodge but on account of the shape of the room it was moved by Bro. H. Southworth, seconded by Bro. J. Southworth that no expense be incurred in this direction as long as temporary premises were being used. It was proposed by Bro. W. Thompson, seconded by Bro. J. Turner and adopted that 28 yards of blue curtain material be purchased at $1.25 per yard to be used for windows, doors, draping of foot stools, altar and pedestals. The lodge room was filled to its utmost capacity on August 20, 1915 when the Most Worshipful the Grand Master was present to institute the officers of the new lodge. He had been making visits to the lodges in the more northern parts of the province and it was on his way south that the ceremony was performed. Refreshments were served during the evening and addresses were given by the Most Worshipful Bro. S. Y. Taylor, R.W. Bro. C. P. Ruddy, R. W.Bro. Dr. Darling and W. Bro.T.H. Wilson. A musical program was interspersed contributed by Bros. J. Hawkesworth, H. Stuckbury and C. Adams. Supplies from Grand Lodge did not arrive until 2 days prior to this meeting and it was then discovered that no Register was included in the package but in its place an additional ledger. This was immediately returned with an explanation but time was too short for the error to be rectified, consequertly loose sheets had to be used for signatures. For the purpose of reducing expenses, the members still gave of their time to completing furniture and accessories necessary for degree work. Bro. F. G. MacPherson in his capacity as a doctor obtained a splendid set of mortality emblems at a very much reduced price. By this means lodge funds were carefully husbanded so that on Oetober 12, 1915, a motion was passed that the loan of $300. be refunded to Bro. W. Thompson. In less that two months from the date of institution all accounts had been paid, every requisite for carrying on lodge work had been procured and the lodge was now unencumbered financially to carry on its work. At the close of each meeting cigars were handed around and whilst smoking was being indulged in, visitors and candidate were expected to express themselves. This however was not always palatable to the visiting brethren so in order to establish a topic of conversation the W. M. gave notice of subjects to be discussed at future gatherings so that members could provide themselves with interesting episodes which proved not only enter- taining but instructive. Very much useful information appertaining to Masonry outside the ritual was gathered together and it might safely be said that the candidates of Norwood Lodge knew more of the science by this means than members of years standing in the great majority of other lodges. The eleventh Annual Communication of the M.W. The Grand Lodge of Alberta, A.F. & A.M. was opened in the Masonic Temple in the city of Banff on Wednesday, May 31, 1916 at 10.00 oclock a.m. W. Bro. T. H. Wilson and Bro. R. Moss went as representatives for this lodge. The W.M. was at this time a member of Empire Lodge No. 63 and as G.L. constitution does not allow membership in two chartered lodges in the province it was very necessary now that the Charter was granted to Norwood No. 90, that all speed should be exercised in obtaining the Charter at the earliest possible moment as he did not wish to sever his connection with Empire Lodge. W. Bro. T. H. Wilson thereupon made it his business to hustle everyone concerned from the Deputy Grand Master down to the Secretary in order to obtain his requests for the immediate reception of the charter so that election of new officers could take place on the regular meeting in June. The result was that the charter was completely signed but required the number and date inserting. On the promise of Bro. R. Moss undertaking to complete this, it was allowed to be brought back, thus enabling the lodge to hold its regular meeting in June. The Third Masonic District of which Norwood Lodge formed a part was considered to widely extended for easy access by the DDGM. It was therefore divided into three districts, No's. 3, 10 and 12. No. 10 district was composed of the following lodges, Acacia No. 11 Edmonton, Victoria No. 13 Fort Saskatchewan, Vermillion No. 24, Vermillion; St. Johns No. 25, Vegreville; Hope No. 38, Manville; Empire No. 63, Edmonton; Tawatinau No.71, Athabaska; Norwood No. 90, Edmonton; Bro. T.H. Wilson was honoured by being elected PDGM for this district. The foregoing taken from the Historical Register of Norwood Lodge #90. - Grand Lodge Proceedings of 1917: Grand Master M.W. Bro. E.T. Bishop. "On June 10th, 1916 accompanied by the three local district deputies and other Grand Lodge officers, I dedicated the Masonic Hall of Norwood Lodge, constituted the Lodge and installed the Officers." MEMBERS OF NORWOOD LODGE WHO HAVE SERVED AS GRAND LODGE OFFICERS *R.W. Bro. C. J. Lakey, D.D.G.M., District 10, 1915/16 R.W. Bro. T. H. Wilson, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1916/17 R.W. Bro. Robt. Moss, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1920/21 R.W. Bro. J. T. McCreath, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1927/28 V.W. Bro. W. Horrocks, Jr. Gr. Deacon, 1932/33 R.W. Bro. R. McQuarrie, D.D.G,M. District 10, 1935/36 V. W. Bro. C. W. Furby, Grand Steward, 1939/40 V. W. Bro. F. J. Bradley, Grand Steward, 1946/47 R. W. Bro. E: J. Paulsen, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1947/48 R. W. Bro. L. O. Sanders, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1957/58 V. W. Bro. R. L. Barson, Sr. Gr. Deacon, 1956/57 R. W. Bro V. T. Young, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1963/64. R. W. Bro. T. M. White, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1970/71 V. W. Bro. M. Jarvie, Sr. Gr. Deacon, 1975/76 R. W. Bro. J. Sanders, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1977/78 V. W. Bro. C. T. Cork, Grand Pursuivant 1979/80 R. W. Bro. K. G. Lawrence, D.D.G.M. District 10, 1984/85 R. W. Bro. J. E. Forsdick, D.D.G.M, District 10, 1988/89 *Honourary member of Norwood Lodge.
Copyright: The Skirret, 2015